Followers

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

1:2 Ratio Wholemeal Steamed Buns

Recently, I discovered that my 2-tier electric steamer can be used to steam buns which turn out very nice  [please see posting on Steamed Black Sesame Buns].  I always thought that the pau base maybe wet due to condensation if I use this kind of steamer. 
One thing I can't explain is the pau skin is a little wrinkled [I follow exactly the proofing and steaming time].

But this steamer is only good if making small quantity [about 6-12 pieces] otherwise it is still advisable to use the big bamboo steamer to avoid over proofing of the paus.
I have several wholemeal steamed bun recipes in hand which I will probably start to make since it is so convenient now with the use of electric steamer.     I'll be making these buns with various ratio of wholemeal flour to plain flour.   This recipe uses 1 part of wholemeal flour to 2 parts of plain flour [1:2 ratio].   If you notice, the buns look a little yellowish probably because I used the unbleached all purpose flour.  Perhaps, I should use pau flour if I prefer whiter paus.  The buns were very soft and nice. 
For the filling, I used the Milky Coconut Bun filling [recipe here].  You can use any  other fillings, be it sweet or savoury, it should be alright.


Ingredients

[dough weighs 600 - makes 12 pieces ]

Mix together - yeast mixture

1 tsp instant yeast

2 tbsp water

Pau Ingredients

100 gm wholemeal flour

200 gm plain flour [you can use pau flour or low protein flour]

20 gm castor sugar

1/2 tsp salt

180-210 ml water

20 gm shortening [you can use butter or oil]

 



  1. Combine and mix yeast mixture in a mixing bowl. Stir well and leave aside for 10-15 minutes. 
  2. Then add in pau ingredients [except shortening]. Knead into a smooth dough before adding in shortening to knead until elastic. Cover and leave to proof for 15-20 minutes or until double in size.
  3. Punch down and divide into 3 equal portions. Shape each into a ball. Then divide each portion into 4 equal parts. Roll into round balls. Flatten each ball into round circles. 
  4. Wrap each dough around chosen filling and shape into any shapes preferred [here I shaped them into round buns]. Place on paper casing and leave to rest for 30-40 minutes or until double in size in steaming trays.
  5. Steam the buns over rapid boiling water for 10 minutes [if using normal steamer]. I steamed the buns from cold water for 12-15 minutes in an electric steamer, then leave for 3 minutes before removing from steamer. 
  6. Serve immediately or cool on wire rack before storing in airtight container.


4 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, I also have an electric steamer but it is now "sleeping" in the cupboard. I still feel the traditional steamer is better. Anyway, I love steamed buns and this one made with wholemeal is much better nutrition wise.

kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, I used to think the same as you but not anymore. It's very useful if you are not making a lot. Fast and easy.

Veronica said...

Very healthy wholemeal steamed buns. By the way, did you use plain wholemeal flour or is it the high protein wholemeal flour?

Kimmy said...

Hi Veronica, I used high protein wholemeal flour. These buns are healthy and good [light & fluffy].