Followers

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Pumpkin Buns with Serunding [Meat Floss]

This is another pumpkin bun which I made with Serunding [either chicken or fish floss]. This recipe is a keeper and so far I have not failed using this recipe. I had made this pumpkin buns with pumpkin paste [see recipe], it's good. You can shape the dough into any shape you like.
Like previous years, whenever I received Serunding from my Malay friends during Raya, I'll use it as filling for my steamed or baked buns.  This time I mix chicken and fish floss together.   It's yummy.   See other recipe [Layered Pumpkin Bread with Spicy Serunding. The original recipe uses sausages as filling.
See how lovely these buns look? It's a bit brown not because I over-baked them, it's because I applied to much egg glaze.
Verdict - soft, spongy and moist buns with savoury and spicy meat floss fillings.
Recipe Source - Yum Yum Magazine
Pumpkin Bread Dough
[makes 12-14 buns] 
300 gm plain flour
1/2 tbsp skimmed milk powder
1/2 tsp salt
25 gm sugar [1 used 1 heaped tbsp]
1 small egg
100 gm pumpkin puree [refer to Pumpkin paste recipe for preparation]
50-60 ml water [depends on size of egg and whether puree is wet]
2 tsp yeast
1 tbsp butter
  1. Knead all dough ingredients [except butter and water] on slow speed to combine.  Gradually add in water [may not use all] and continue kneading until dough is soft and smooth [about 7-10 minutes].
  2. Add in butter and continue kneading on low speed from the start then turn to medium speed when butter and dough has combined.  Knead for about 5-7 minutes to get to window pane stage.
  3. Form dough into a ball.  Place in a bowl covered to rest for 1 hour [I rest it for about 30 minutes]. [Can prepare dough up to this stage - place dough in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for 1 day before use.  Safe time and buns can be ready in a shorter time whenever you feel like having freshly baked buns for breakfast or tea.  Thaw dough to room temperature before use].
  4. Punch down rested dough.  Divide into 12 pieces [50 gm each].  Round up into a ball.  Wrap with some serunding and form into any shapes preferred.  Here I shaped the buns into oval and round shapes.
  5. Proof until double in size [about 1 hour].  Glaze with beaten egg [you can use milk] and sprinkle sesame seeds.
  6. Bake in preheated oven at 200 degrees C for 15 minutes.  Remove and cool on wire rack.
This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (Oct 2014 Event: PUMPKIN) organised by Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) and Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY) and hosted by Eileen (Eileen's Diary).

I'm also submitting this post to Cook Your Books Event #17 hosted by 
Joyce of Kitchen Flavours
     photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg

18 comments:

Madeline said...

Hi Kimmy,

The bread looks delicious :) going to try it. BTW i tried your pork floss bread recipe. It was good on the day it was baked but it turned a bit dry and hard on the next day. Is it suppose to be like that?

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

Hi Kimmy

I like the bun texture, it's look soft with yummy filling. Thanks for your link up to LTU, cheers!

Kimmy said...

Hi Madeline, it is not supposed to be dry and hard. According to my record, all the bun recipes that I have posted here are workable recipes that give very good buns. Make sure the kneading is well done and proofing until double. Do not over-bake the buns, too. Some ppl brush the buns with melted butter immediately after out of oven which helps to keep the buns soft. But I think this is unnecessary cos' we want healthy home-made buns. You can warm the buns in the oven [100C] the next day, the buns are soft but not dry. BTW, be careful when adding water for this pumpkin bun. Dough may be too wet and hard to handle.

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hi Kimmy, these pumpkin buns with meat floss are so fluffy soft and yummy ^-^!

Bakericious said...

I baked pumpkin bread b4 n it tasted so yummy, you making me craving now.

Madeline said...

Ok thanks for yr tips, Kimmy. :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Eileen, these pumpkin buns are really soft, moist and has a beautiful natural colour.

Kimmy said...

Hi Karen, you should try these buns, they are really good with the spicy savoury chicken serunding. I only make buns with this filling during Hari Raya time when we get really good serunding from Malay friends.

Kimmy said...

Hi Jess, I made pumpkin bread very often too whenever I have pumpkin puree in the fridge.. They not only look nice but is soft and moist.

QembarDelites said...

I like the look of these buns, I happen to have a small piece of pumpkin in my fridge, so I am going to try this but without the serunding.

PH said...

Kimmy, I love pumpkin! But yet to try pumpkin bread or buns. Must be very delicious!

Kimmy said...

Hi Jeannie, you can use any savoury filling, it should be good cos' the buns are sweet.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, pumpkin bread and buns are soft, moist and very tasty. Can eat it on its' own without any fillings.

Miss B @ Everybody Eats Well in Flanders said...

Kimmy,
You are always very good with steamed and baked buns, and ogura cakes too. I still remember the buns you posted for Aspiring Bakers Bao Ho-Chiak event. This one is definitely a keeper recipe as you said, so soft and fluffy, will bookmark this for sure.

Btw, We are holding a blog-hop called MTR #3 - Taste of Autumn, featuring fruits and veggies harvested in autumn, from 1 Oct to 30 Nov. You are welcome to linkup with us. Hope to see your entry, have a nice day! :)
http://everybodyeatswell.blogspot.be/2014/10/mtr-3-taste-of-autumn-fruits-and.html

Kimmy said...

Hi Miss B, thanks for the highlight and invite. I sure will join you for this event. It's a pity I have cooked several dishes using cauliflower, cabbage, chillies and broccoli but didn't post these home recipes here as I wasn't aware of this event, hehehe!

Miss B @ Everybody Eats Well in Flanders said...

Hi Kimmy,
Thanks for your linkup! Dun worry, this blog-hop lasts 2 months until end Nov, so you still have plenty of time to post anything related to fruits and veggies harvested in autumn. :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Miss B, hehehe!, I'll be away on holiday for most part of November and this month quite busy with house renovation. I'll do my best for this event though. Thanks.

Unknown said...

very nice bun making recipe i always wanted to make this kind of buns thanks for sharing.


restaurants in indianapolis