Followers

Friday, January 30, 2015

Steamed Fish With Fragrant Ginger Sauce

Notice how fresh this fish is?  The flesh is firm and pure white. Freshly caught Garoupa from my hubby's fishing trip.  Pity it isn't bigger.
 Yummy steamed fish with a simple, easy to prepare fragrant  and tasty ginger sauce.
I’m sharing the original recipe here. The actual that I cooked is only half portion of the sauce as the fish is small [about 300 gm]. Very nice.
The sauce is gingery and fragrant. Goes well with the fresh fish. I like the sauce very much and it’s so easy to prepare.  We were so eager to eat it right away, so no time for more photo taking, hehehe!
I was told that this is a Cantonese style of steaming fish which should be suitable and a tasty steamed fish dish for Chinese New Year.
Recipe Source - Hawker's Fair Simplified
Ingredients
1 fish [about 500 gm] – scaled and cleaned
2 stalks of spring onions – shredded
Ginger Sauce
100 gm fresh ginger – skinned
50 ml water
1 tsp salt½ -1 tsp sugar
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp shaoxing wine
1-2 tbsp oil
½ tsp sesame oil
Dash of msg or chicken stock granules to taste
1 tbsp cornflour water for thickening
½ -1 tbsp fried garlic crisps and oil
  1. Ginger Sauce – put fresh ginger and water in a processor and blend until very fine. Pour into a small saucepan. Add in the remaining sauce ingredients. Bring to boil until fragrant then thicken with cornflour water. Set aside.
  2. Place fish on a steaming plate. Steam fish over high heat for 10-12 minutes [depending on the size of the fish] or until cooked through.
  3. Remove the fish, discard the water. Pour ginger sauce over fish and sprinkle crispy fried garlic with the oil. Garnish with spring onions.
  4. Serve immediately.
I'm submitting this post to Cook Your Books Event #20 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours
 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg
Hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well In Flanders
and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House

8 comments:

Baking Taitai said...

This fish is very fresh, must be really tasty with the fragrant ginger sauce!

PH said...

Kimmy, again I say you are so lucky your hubby has a good hobby hah..hah... It must be really delicious this super fresh fish!

Kimmy said...

Hi Cheryl, it is really tasty and healthy too. We had another steamed fish cooked this way yesterday with the fresh fish he caught. Enjoyed it so much.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, I'm very grateful that we have fresh fishes to eat from his fishing trip. He has a fruitful trip the day before with 4 big fishes which I will be cooking everyday since yesterday. Today is claypot curry with the sambal tumis paste which I believe it is going to be good.

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

Hi Kim,
I am so happy when I see this steamed fish sharing. Because I am going to prepare steamed fish as my famaly reunion dinner dish. I think this fragrant ginger sauce steamed fish will be well received by my family.
Thank you.

Kimmy said...

Hi Aunty Young, it's a great steamed fish sauce. Moreover, you can prepare this sauce earlier and use it whenever you wish to steam the fish. Serve with lots of shredded spring onions and coriander leaves, hmmmm.....your family will love it.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
There's nothing better than freshly caught fish! I used to eat fresh garoupa when I was young. My grandfather and father both love sea fishing, and we always have fresh fish for dinner! Really sweet and fresh, unlike the ones we buy from the market. Thanks for sharing!

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, yes there is a great difference between fresh caught fishes and those from the markets. We really enjoyed it and much appreciated too.